Sunday, July 12, 2009

The 1/3 Life Crisis Road Trip Blog

So plans are in place for my 3 month sabbatical! I'm looking forward to doing about a 2 week road trip where I can stop on a whim and check out stuff. Normally, you're just looking to get home or to a place, but I'm looking forward to being able to stop when I want.

People ask why not take 3 months and backpack through Europe or what not. Well one reason is because I'm someone who needs a nice clean hotel room and shower, so backpacking isn't gonna do it for me. Second, I think the US has a ton to offer that we don't appreciate. Little cultural things that I hope to see on my road trip, like the Hershey Museum and Falling Water.

The basis for the road trip will be two cities: Pittsburgh from 8/17-8/19 and Washington, DC from 8/21-8/23. Why? The Milwaukee Brewers, my baseball team, will be at those parks! After that, it's wherever I feel like going. The fun part is getting on Google maps and looking for stuff along the way (man Pennsylvania is really wide). The top map on the right of this blog shows the places I've found as tentative stops.

So if you have any ideas or suggestions for places to see, and more importantly, local food to eat, please feel free to share! I plan on using roadfood.com a lot!

2 comments:

  1. What are you going to do for the remainder of your 3 months? You have about 2 weeks out of just 12 figured out. How about road tripping 48 states?
    Are the expectations from P&G essentially that you'll be refreshed and energized to get back on the job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well there's probably 2 more road tips... if you notice I have a second map that shows a down south trip I'm thinking of doing.

    Yes, the idea is you get a break so you're good to go when you come back.

    ReplyDelete