Just outside of Pittsburgh, I stopped at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water House. I’ve been a Frank Lloyd Wright fan since I was little, and he’s got Wisconsin ties too. I had an internship at SC Johnson, and he designed some of the SCJ office buildings as well. I want to live in a house like Falling Water someday… have the house be intimately intertwined with a river or body of water. But after visiting the house, I would say take it one level less artsy and one level more practical… It's a bit "hard" since it's built into rocks (I'd like a little more carpeting). The house does have leaking issues since it’s built into a waterfall! And I’m not sure I want a spring running straight through my house…

As an aside… in one of the Smithsonian museums, I saw this display that caught my eye:
After too short of a time at the American History Museum, I headed to the capitol for a tour. The capitol building is amazing. Each state donates two statues to the capitol for display… I didn’t find Ohio’s nor Wisconsin’s. I was curious as to who we would choose to honor as a statue in the capitol... and here's the answer for Ohio. Apparently this is a very current topic! The entire list can be found here.
this was a great report! glad to see cincy honored so nicely with a sign and the house picture is inspiring me to search for interior pictures online.
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen! The interior is cool too, other than the stony-ness. I liked the seamless windows that gave you a view of the creek.
ReplyDeleteEver been to River Forest or Oak Park, IL? They do FLW tours. :-)
ReplyDeleteNo, but I will hafta check them out!
ReplyDelete