Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Shout out to my co-workers

So today is my last day before starting on my sabbatical... I assume a lot of my co-workers will be checking today since I plan on sending out the link. I figure I'd start by a little FAQ session:

Q: Why are you taking a sabbatical?
A: The short answer is because I can! People I've talked to say I should do it before I get married and have kids. The last time I had a break like this was after summer lab in 2000 and before starting at P&G 2 months later, and I had a blast!

Q: Where are you going?
A: I'm mostly staying in town, but I do have a few trips planned. One is a road trip, where the idea was to follow the Milwaukee Brewers. The only time that worked was when they travel to Pittsburgh on 8/17 and Washington DC afterward. So I've pinned down those two cities, and after that I'm just finding fun stuff to see on Google and going to see them (see the maps to the right).

Q: Why not backpack through Europe?
A: First I think there's a lot of stuff the US has to offer... stuff that's right under our noses but we never stop to see. Since I'm driving, I'll be able to stop anytime I see something interesting. Second, I'm not someone who can camp or do hostels... I need a nice hotel room and a wi-fi connection.

Q: Are you going alone?
A: Yes, for the most part. I do plan on visiting relatives on the east coast

Q: Are you coming back to the same role?
A: Yes, unless I win the lottery.

So there you have it. I plan on posting a good amount as I'm traveling, and maybe even figure out what this Twitter thing is all about. Meanwhile, if you know of something that's really worth seeing or have restaurant recommendations for the places I'm going, PLEASE let me know... word of mouth from former locals or people is the best way to go!

2 comments:

  1. Some of my best memories are driving through all of the US (From LA up to Ohio and back down through the South East/West) for one summer and the little things are what stick to you...
    Eating burgers at Annies Pantry in Provo Utah...peeing in a can because my grandfather would not stop the car...Picking up stones by the Snake River...Picking Seashells at the great lakes...the view of the New Mexico desert at 4AM in the middle of a lightning storm...and so on

    Keep it flexible and go with the flow...enjoy every experience for it will be unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angel! Although I will be driving, so I will stop the car when I need to pee...

    ReplyDelete