Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Suggestions?

Hard to believe my trip is coming up next week! I've gotten a few great suggestions, but I can't seem to remember all of them. I'm looking for fun places to go in the respective cities I'm going to: things that are really native to the city, college campuses and the one street where everyone goes (every campus has one), maybe fun neighborhoods. I'm less into the bar/going out scene (since I'm going by myself) and more into the fun/quirky places. I'll give you an example of what I'd be looking for if I were going to Madison or Cincinnati:

Madison: Mickie's Dairy Bar (fun breakfast dive), State Street (where all bars/restaurants are)
Milwaukee: Oscar's or Kopps frozen custard, Irishfest/Festa Italiana/any lake festival

Cincinnati: Graeter's ice cream, Skyline chili, Hofbrauhaus/Newport on the Levee, Mount Adams

So I'm looking for suggestions for the following cities:
  • Pittsburgh
  • Washington, DC
  • Baltimore
  • Philadelphia
  • Atlantic City
Thanks to Kenny and Lori for the Pittsburgh suggestions... please post again so I have a written record :)

11 comments:

  1. There's some place in Pitts that's a local joint that has all-in-one sandwiches that were great! by all in one i mean that the one sandwich contains the meat/toppings as well as the fries and the cole slaw (i think... i don't like cole slaw so that was omitted).

    In Washington DC we hit 2 small but cool museums - the Spy Museum and the Journalism Museum- last time we were there. Both will take you about 2-3 hours each to tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions Karen!

    I think that's Primanti brothers? I'm with you I think I'd not do the cole slaw.

    Do you have any Ocean City MD perspective?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Baltimore for a quick trip and enjoyed walking around the Mt. Vernon neighborhood (older houses). In that area was an awesome Thai restaurant called Thai Landing.

    The aquarium is not to be missed if you are into that sort of thing at all. It's awesome and we spent almost a whole day there. It's located in the inner harbor, which was a fun place to hang out also, although much more touristy and busy.

    Have a great trip - I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philly - of course there's the Gino's/Pat's cheesesteak rivalry (so you'd better hit up both, to form your opinion with a side by side comparison!) ;)
    I think it's South Street or something is the place to go there. At least it was 8 years ago when I was in NJ. I remember a really cute mexican restaurant with super yummy margaritas. I don't remember anything else about it....
    Lots of history around Philly, as I'm sure you've already planned out.

    DC - there's some fine eating and all the smithsonian museums in the area, though I don't know the restaurants off the top of my head (think about it - all the Congressmen and lobbyists have to entertain somewhere). I could get recommendations from a few friends/relatives in the area, if you needed.

    HINT: if you're looking for a restaurant in a given city, look up the show Throwdown with Bobby Flay. It sounds a little hokey to follow him, but he competes with some great chefs as well as local cooks - it's not all frou frou and you can find the local cuisine.

    Guido's in Mt. Adams used to do the Primanti brother's style sandwiches; disappointingly they discontinued them a few years ago.

    Are you going through Penn State area? Check out their creamery, it's famous for their ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And oh yea- Have fun!! I'm jealous of your trip, I'll be reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And finally (geez) I didn't notice Atlantic City at first - if you go to the Jersey Shore, expect to have to pay a fee to use the beach during normal hours, even to walk on it. The boardwalk is free, it's if you venture off the boardwalks. Not all of the beaches are pay-beaches, but enough of them are, plus a lot of the property is private so you aren't permitted everywhere.
    Atlantic city didn't impress me so much, though it's fun to say you've been there.
    From Philly, though, you're 2 hours from anywhere! Seriously, (as long as traveling outside rush hours): DC, NYC, Jersey Shore, Baltimore are all at or within 2 hours! It's great!! Oh, and Delaware is tax-free shopping, I believe.

    It amuses me that you have to pay a toll to cross into PA (from NJ) but crossing into NJ is free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and don't forget it's illegal to pump your own gas in Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In DC you have to go to Ben's Chili. I believe it's at 12th and U, but doublecheck! I go there at least once every time I'm in town...definitely a landmark. Let me know if your travels take you to Phoenix!

    - Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, Kristy, Martha, Robin:

    Thanks for the suggestions! I will file these away and I'll let you how it is if I go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You might want to try looking on the Food Network website for hangout places. I know Guy's Diners & Drive-Ins show has been to some of those cities. Also, Man vs Food on the Travel Channel has a website showcasing cool food spots.

    Have fun!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.primantibrothers.com/ is the Pittsburgh place Karen was talking about.

    I reco the FBI bldg tour, Arlington National Cemetary and American History Museum in DC

    ReplyDelete